Your life can be enhanced and happiness enriched. When you chose to deep your perspective, don’t leave your future to chance, __1___ wait for things to get better mysteriously on their own, all you will leave behind for the world to remember is your legacy, but what legacy will you leave?
I had a philosophy professor. His untidy appearance was highlighted by a __2___ sport coat and poor-fitting thick glasses, which often __3___ on the tip of his nose. Every now and then, as most philosophy professors do, he would go off on one of those hard-to-understand and existential “what's the meaning of ___4___” discussions. Many of those discussions went ___5___, but there were a few that really hit home. This was one of them.
“___6___ to the following questions by a show of hands,” my professor __7__.
“How many of you can tell me something about your parents?” Everyone’s hand ___8___.
“How many of you can tell me something about your grandparents?” About three-fourths raised their hands.
“How many of you can tell me something about your great-parents?” Two out of sixty students _9__ their hands.
“Look around the room,” he said. “In just two short generations __10__ any of us even know who our own great-grandparents were. Maybe we have an old photograph in a __11__cigar box or know the classic family, __12___ about how one of them walked 5 miles to school barefoot. But how many of us __13__ know who they were, what they thought, what they were proud of, what they were afraid of, or what they dream about? Within three generations our ancestors are all but forgotten. Will this 14 to you?
“Here’s a better question. Look ___15__ three generations. You are long __16__. Instead of you sitting in this room, now it’s your great-grandchildren. What will they have to say __17___ you? Will they know about you? Or will you be __18___, too?
“Is your life going to be a __19___or an example? What legacy(遗产)will you leave? The ___20___ is yours. Class dismissed.”
1. A. or B. and C. but D. so
2. A. well-cut B. well-ironed C. well-worn D. well-designed
3. A. stood B. rested C. ran D. by
4. A. study B. family C. life D. work
5. A. nowhere B. somewhere C. anywhere D. everywhere
6. A. repress B. represent C. respond D. relate
7. A. equipped B. instructed C. insulted D. evoked
8. A. went around B. went down C. went forward D. went up
9. A. aroused B. raised C. rise D. arouse
10. A. hardly B. almost C. not D. nearly
11. A. fascinating B. factual C. musty D. mystical
12. A. history B. tree C. song D. story
13. A. really B. simply C. roughly D. generally
14. A. refer B. happen C. belong D. pass
15. A. back B. for C. ahead D. around
16. A. got B. ready C. alive D. gone
17. A. behind B. to C. for D. about
18. A. forgotten B. remembered C. respected D. scolded
19. A. suffering B. warning C. meaning D. learning
20. A. way B. explanation C. reason D. choice
【解析】考查动词短语辨析。教授要求学生用举手来回答问题，respond to 回答的意思，answer后面不需要用to，其它两个选项意义不相符。
【解析】考查动词。rise “升起”，为不及物动词;raise“举起”，为及物动词;arise “出现”;arouse “唤起”，raise 符合语境。
【解析】考查动词。根据上文“Within three generations our ancestors are all but forgotten.”，此处应为被人们忘记。
京ICP备16044424号-2 京公网安备 11010802023064号 Copyright © 2001-2020 hteacher.net 北京中师华图文化发展有限公司 版权所有